La Fabrique Cinéma de l'Institut français has been designed to support new talented filmmakers from Southern and emerging countries.
This programme has been developed in close association with the Festival de Cannes and the Marché du Film. Ten projects in development (1st or 2nd feature film) are selected and invited to Cannes. The aim is to create concrete opportunities for these projects by providing access to different activities and personalized support through one-to-one and group meetings with key players in the film industry.
An international call for entries limited to 120 projects is launched every year. The applications are evaluated by a selection committee.
The selected directors are invited with their producers for a maximum of ten days during the Festival de Cannes to participate in an intensive and personalized coaching. This programme is meant to help finance their projects through individual meetings with French and international producers as well asgroup meetings with professionals, in partnership with the Festival de Cannes and the parallel selections. They also benefit from the strong commitment of the patron of La Fabrique Cinéma de l’Institut français.
In 2018, the directors and producers have participated in :
Since 2009, 91 projects, 167 directors and producers coming from 61 countries, including 23 francophone countries, have been selected. More than 40% of the projects are on post-production orhave already been shot. About 70% of the projects have signed coproduction agreements.
Follow us on our Facebook page / follow the news on our website.
Partnerships with festivals, labs and residencies
For many years, La Fabrique Cinéma de l'Institut français has collaborated to initiatives that support projects in development:
A special attention is given to French-language projects from Africa.
Collaboration with Visions du Réel
Since 2018, a collaboration has been set up between Visions du Réel in Nyon and La Fabrique Cinéma de l’Institut français in Cannes. In order to circulate Southern and emerging documentary projects between Visions du Réel, « Pitching du Réel »’s programme, and La Fabrique Cinéma de l’Institut français in Cannes.
All projects must be submitted using the online registration form on: www.lescinemasdumonde.com.
Please note that La Fabrique des Cinémas du Monde's name has changed for La Fabrique Cinéma de l'Institut français.
1. The project must concern a cinematographic work (fiction, documentary or animation). It may not be a project or a film for television.
2. The project must be the director's first or second feature-length film (fiction, documentary or animation).
3. The director must come from one of the eligible countries.
4. The project must have a local producer or a producer from one of the eligible countries who has produced a short- or feature-length film in the last five years.
5. The film's budget must be less than €3 million.
6. Each director or production company may only submit one film project.
7. If the project has a co-producer, the co-producer must be identified in the online registration form.
8. If coproducers are attached to the project after the application has been made, the Institutfrançais must be informed.A selected project that wouldn’t have informed the Institutfrançais might be refused.
9. La Fabrique’s program is mainly designed to find French and European coproducers. Therefore, priority will be given to projects that don’t have French or European coproducers attached. However, projects that have coproducers will be evaluated and can be considered.
10. The local producer of the project is invited to attend La Fabrique Cinéma de l'Institut français. The project's co-producers must have signed a co-production agreement or a deal memo for their status to be recognized. Their costs are not covered. To further the project's interests, they may attend the one-to-one meetings.
11. Due to the international environment of the Cannes Market, most of the meetings will be held in English. Therefore, the director and the producer must speak English.
12. Application must be complete to be considered.
13. Projects are registered in order of arrival (in electronic form only). No documents or DVDs will be returned.
14. The registration deadline will be announced once the 120th eligible application will be received or at beginning of November 2018, at the latest. The website will be updated weekly regarding the number of submissions received.
1. Applicants may not pre-register.
2. There is no registration fee.
3. When the registration form has been completed, an email is automatically sent to the French Embassy's cultural services in the director/producer's home country. If the audiovisual attaché of the French Embassy agrees, applicants may request his/her assistance in sending DVDs, if links to previous films of the director are not available. If the films are available online, it is not necessary.
4. Selected projects will be chosen by a committee composed of professional readers from the film industry and representatives of the Institut Français and its institutional partners.
5. Selected projects will be announced on March 2019 by press release. It will then be published on Les Cinémas du Monde and Institut francais' websites.
6. The director and local producer of a selected project will take part in La Fabrique Cinéma de l'Institut français programme. The following conditions apply:
a. The Institut Français, with support from French Embassy services, will cover the director's travel, accommodation, meal and accreditation costs during his/her invitation the Festival de Cannes. The maximum period that will be covered is from 13 to 23 May 2019. The exact dates of invitation will be announced later. Outside of these dates, the director must organise and pay for his/her own trip.
b. The Institut Français, with support from French Embassy services, will cover the producer's travel, accommodation, meal and accreditation costs during his/her invitation to the Festival de Cannes. The maximum period that will be covered is from 13 to 23 May 2019. The exact dates of invitation will be announced later. Outside of these dates, the director must organise and pay for his/her own trip.
7. The directors and producers of projects selected must include the following information in the film's credits: “This film took part in LA FABRIQUE CINEMA DE L'INSTITUT FRANCAIS (+year)” and the program's logo.
8. Participating in La Fabrique Cinéma de l'Institut français does not mean the applicant is automatically eligible to the Aide aux cinémas du monde. Applications must be done separately.
9. Applicants must accept these rules and regulations when submitting their projects online.
Please note that you must provide the following information to be eligible for the selection process. You won’t be able to navigate between sections during your registration. You must fill in each field correctly and upload the mandatory documents before validating the registration form.
WE SUGGEST YOU TO PREFERABLY USE THE ROMAN ALPHABET. WE HAVE NOTICED THAT SOME BUGS ON THE ONLINE FORM WERE SOMETIMES DUE TO THE USE OF SYMBOLS, SIGNS OR NON-ROMAN ALPHABET.
If there is no film of the director available online, 3 DVDs must be sent by post to:
8-14, rue du Capitaine Scott
Please note that if links to previous films made by the director are available online, we don't need to receive DVDs.
If you have any questions on the submission process, please contact Gabrielle Béroff-Gallard by email: email@example.com
The registration deadline will be announced once the 120th eligible application will be received or at beginning of November 2018, at the latest. The website will be updated weekly regarding the number of submissions received.
If the director's previous works is available online, you don't need to send us Dvds. If there's no film available online, 3 DVDs must be sent quickly by post to:
Chargée de mission La Fabrique Cinéma de l'Institut français
8-14, rue du Capitaine Scott
SELECTED PROJECTS WILL BE ANNOUNCED IN MARCH 2019 BY PRESS RELEASE. It will also be published on the Cinémas du Monde and Institut français' websites and facebook pages.
Mainly based on the DAC (Development Assistance Committee) list (OECD) of assistance recipients.
ANTIGUA AND BARBUDA
BOSNIA AND HERZEGOWINA
CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC
CONGO, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF
IRAN (ISLAMIC REPUBLIC OF)
MACEDONIA, THE FORMER YUGOSLAV REPUBLIC OF
MICRONESIA, FEDERATED STATES OF
MOLDOVA, REPUBLIC OF
PAPUA NEW GUINEA
SAINT KITTS AND NEVIS
SAINT VINCENT AND THE GRENADINES
SAO TOME AND PRINCIPE
TANZANIA, UNITED REPUBLIC OF
TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO
WALLIS AND FUTUNA ISLANDS
Questions with a « * » are mandatory.
BACK TO WEBSITE WWW.LESCINEMASDUMONDE.COM