La Fabrique Cinéma de l'Institut français has been created to support new talented filmmakers from Southern and emerging countries.
This programme has been developed in close association with the Festival de Cannes and the Marché du Film. Ten projects in development (1st or 2nd feature film) are selected and invited to Cannes.The aim is to create concrete opportunities for these projects by providing access to different activities and personalized support through one-to-one and group meetings with key players in the film industry.
An international call for entries limited to 120 projects is launched every year. The applications are evaluated by a selection committee made up of scriptwriters, directors, editors, consultants, festival programmers and members of national and international cultural or cinematographic organisations.
The selected directors are invited with their producers for a maximum of ten days during the Festival de Cannes to participate in an intensive and personalized coaching. This programme is meant to help finance their projects through individual meetings with French and international producers as well as group meetings with professionals, in partnership with the Festival de Cannes and the parallel selections. They also benefit from the strong commitment of the patron of La Fabrique Cinéma de l'Institut français.
In 2019, the directors and producers have participated in:
Since 2009, 101 projects, 185 directors and producers coming from 61 countries, including 23 francophone countries, have been selected. In 2019, more than 40% of the projects have already been shot and 11 films are on post-production and will be selected in festivals or released.
Follow us on our Facebook page / follow the news on our website.
For many years, La Fabrique Cinéma de l'Institut français has collaborated to initiatives that support projects in development. A special attention is given to French-language projects from Africa :
In 2020, a collaboration between Visions du Réel in Nyon and La Fabrique Cinéma de l'Institut français in Cannes will allow a better circulation for Southern and emerging documentary projects between Visions du Réel, « Pitching du Réel »'s programme and La Fabrique Cinéma de l'Institut français in Cannes.
All projects must be submitted using the online registration form on the Cinémas du Monde’s website and the Institut français’ website
1. The project must concern a cinematographic work (fiction, documentary or animation). It may not be a project or a film for television.
2. The project in development must be the director's first or second feature-length film (fiction, documentary or animation).
3. The director must come from one of the eligible countries.
4. The project must have a local producer or a producer from one of the eligible countries who has produced a short- or feature-length film in the last five years.
5. The film's budget must be less than €3 million.
6. Each director or production company may only submit one film project.
7. La Fabrique’s program is mainly designed to find French and European coproducers. It's not necessary to have a coproducer to subscribe.
8. Projects that already have coproducers attached can also be submitted. The co-producers must be identified in the online registration form.
9. If coproducers are attached to the project after the application has been made, the Institut français must be informed. A selected project that wouldn’t have informed the Institut français might be refused.
10. The local producer of the project is invited to attend La Fabrique Cinéma de l'Institut français. The project's co-producers must have signed a co-production agreement or a deal memo for their status to be recognized. Their costs are not covered. To further the project's interests, they may attend the one-to-one meetings.
11. Due to the international environment of the Cannes Market, most of the meetings will be held in English. Therefore, the director and the producer must speak English.
12. Application must be complete to be considered.
13. Projects are registered in order of arrival (in electronic form only). No documents or DVDs will be returned.
14. The registration deadline will be announced once the 120th eligible application will be received or at beginning of November 2019, at the latest. The website will be updated regularly regarding the number of submissions received.
1. Applicants may not pre-register.
2. There is no registration fee.
3. When the registration form has been completed, an email is automatically sent to the French Embassy’s cultural services or the Institut français in the director/producer’s home country.
4. Selected projects will be chosen by a committee composed of professional readers from the film industry and representatives of the Institut Français and its institutional partners.
5. Selected projects will be announced on March 2020. The director and producer of the selected projects will be informed personally. The list of selected projects will be available on the Cinémas du Monde and Institut français’ websites and on social networks. A press release will also be published.
6. The director and local producer of a selected project will take part in La Fabrique Cinéma de l'Institut français programme. The following conditions apply:
a. The Institut Français, with support from French Embassy services, will cover the director's travel, accommodation, meal and accreditation costs during his/her invitation the Festival de Cannes. The maximum period that will be covered is from 11 to 22 May 2020. The exact dates of invitation will be announced later. Outside of these dates, the director must organise and pay for his/her own trip.
b. The Institut Français, with support from French Embassy services, will cover the producer's travel, accommodation, meal and accreditation costs during his/her invitation to the Festival de Cannes. The maximum period that will be covered is from 11 to 22 May 2020. The exact dates of invitation will be announced later. Outside of these dates, the director must organise and pay for his/her own trip.
7. The directors and producers of projects selected must include the following information in the film's credits: “This film took part in LA FABRIQUE CINEMA DE L'INSTITUT FRANCAIS (+year)” and the program's logo.
8. Participating in La Fabrique Cinéma de l'Institut français does not mean the applicant is automatically eligible to the Aide aux cinémas du monde. Applications must be done separately.
9. Applicants must accept these rules and regulations when submitting their projects online.
Please note that you must provide the following information to be eligible for the selection process. You won’t be able to navigate between sections during your registration. You must fill in each field correctly and upload the mandatory documents before validating the registration form.
WE SUGGEST YOU TO PREFERABLY USE THE ROMAN ALPHABET. WE HAVE NOTICED THAT SOME BUGS ON THE ONLINE FORM WERE SOMETIMES DUE TO THE USE OFSYMBOLS, SIGNS OR NON-ROMAN ALPHABET.
If there is no film of the director available online, 3 DVDs must be sent by post to:
8-14, rue du Capitaine Scott
Please note that if links to previous films made by the director are available online, we don't need to receive DVDs.
If you have any questions, please contact Gabrielle Béroff-Gallard by email: email@example.com
The registration deadline will be announced once the 120th eligible application will be received or at beginning of November 2019, at the latest. The website will be updated regularly regarding the number of submissions received.
While you apply, it is mandatory to send a link to a previous film available online. You can also send 3 DVDs of another work to :
Chargée de mission La Fabrique Cinéma de l'Institut français
8-14, rue du Capitaine Scott
SELECTED PROJECTS WILL BE ANNOUNCED IN MARCH 2020. If your project has been selected, you will be informed personally. If your project hasn’t been selected, the list of selected projects will be available on the Cinémas du Monde and Institut français websites, on social networks and a press release will be published.
Mainly based on the DAC (Development Assistance Committee) list (OECD) of assistance recipients.
ANTIGUA AND BARBUDA
BOSNIA AND HERZEGOWINA
CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC
CONGO, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF
IRAN (ISLAMIC REPUBLIC OF)
MICRONESIA, FEDERATED STATES OF
MOLDOVA, REPUBLIC OF
PAPUA NEW GUINEA
SAINT KITTS AND NEVIS
SAINT VINCENT AND THE GRENADINES
SAO TOME AND PRINCIPE
TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO
WALLIS AND FUTUNA ISLANDS
Questions with a « * » are mandatory.
BACK TO WEBSITE WWW.LESCINEMASDUMONDE.COM